Happy November Pro Sat!
NEW: Learning Team Pre-Work for Every ELA teacher (5th grade- 12th grade ELA, North & South)
- Problem-Solving Groups
- Come prepared to reflect on the most important gaps in your class.
- We’re having free-choice problem-solving this month! This means that you can choose whichever whole-class or subgroup-of-students-problem that you want to talk about with your problem-solving group!
- We’ll be working with the same groups from October & September.
- If you were absent both these months, please email Sarah Franzen to figure out what you need to do to get into a group for November.
NEW: Intro to ELA: Pedagogy & Student-Ownership Pre-Work (ONLY for teachers taking this course)
- Reflect on your class culture.
- GUIDING QUESTIONS:
- How do you ensure your students feel safe enough to contribute positively to your class?
- To what extent are students developing positive communication habits? What’s working? What’s not working? Why?
- Bring reflections to the course, and we’ll be discussing more culture-building solutions this month.
NEW: Creative Writing & Research Writing (ONLY for teachers taking this course)
- READ chapter two of Kelley Gallagher’s Write Like This, Writing to Inquire & Explore & (South-only) the resource that Caroline sent out. (Approx. 40 minutes)
- CONSIDER and BE PREPARED TO DISCUSS the following:
- Which research writing products from this chapter do you think would be great for your students to write? Why?
- Which research writing products from this chapter are you not as crazy about? Why?
- What do you think about Gallagher’s planning & executing approaches within this chapter? What makes you excited? What makes you nervous/ skeptical?
- BRING student writing samples from the creative writing lesson that you committed to last month.
NEW: Leading Student-Centered, Text-Based Discussions (ONLY for teachers taking this course)
- NORTH: READ Part 3 of The Teacher’s Guide to Leading Student-Centered Discussions (Approx. 40 minutes)
- BE PREPARED TO DISCUSS the text.
- EVALUATE the student-discussion changes you were able to accomplish between October & November Pro Sats. Be prepared to discuss.
- SOUTH: See Brianne’s guidance that she sent the weekend prior to Pro Sat!
Novels & Lengthier Text Planning & Teaching (ONLY for teachers taking this course)
- Check the guidance coming directly from Andy Donnelly.